Re: Gmail at Yale

There are problems for heavy email users with Gmail that I have
encountered with corporate Gmail.  One serious problem for those
on discussion groups is that the mail sent from a Gmail account
by a member does not come back to their inbox via the list or
when one mails a message to themselves, it is also not received
back in their inbox.  Hence, for mail sent to a list, one must
check the list archives to see if their message has cleared or if
the list is not archived, there is always prayer.

Messages are accumulated in groups or threads in Gmail's reader,
when one deletes a message in Gmail directly, not an alternative
reader, one may be deleting the entire group of messages.
Consider Google Alerts. One alert may be valuable, others
worthless.

In the Gmail reader one may lose all or need to keep all for the
good one in the group.  At some point, all of the messages in my
inbox prior to 2003 were deleted well after the conversion to
Gmail by their server.  Posts sent to all members of a local
listserv, about four or five, over time, were not received in my
Gmail account, I had to ask a colleague to send me a copy of
these posts upon hearing about them.

If one uses an alternative reader to view their email and deletes
a message, it goes to a file called All Mail and continues to add
to the large but finite total of space afforded in Gmail accounts
(Yahoo Mail has no space limits). One then needs to go through
the All Mail folder to delete the messages deleted from the inbox
or sent-mail folders so that they then can go to trash from
whence they again need to be deleted. One weekend, I lost three
or four percent of my accounts space when, after a glitch, the
All Mail folder had messages I had deleted from other folders,
but they failed to appear in the All Mail folder which was
entirely empty until I logged out and then logged in again.
Upon logging in the old mail was in the All Mail account, but not
the messages deleted from other folders, but the percent was the
same before and after.  The same thing happened this weekend
past, but the empty All Mail folder was replaced by a full folder
upon logging out and back in again.

In short, and there is more, the cloud in my computing is a large
amount of wasted time due to the existence of corporate Gmail in
my life.  I have talked with other corporate Gmail users who have
had one problem or another, but never report them, hence the
organizations that adopt this service may tend to think that
there are few or no problems with Gmail.

One key overriding difficulty is that some of these kinds of
problem causing factors for some users could be options that
could be turned off, but no such turn off feature exists for not
getting your own emails back or for clustering message threads.
Hence one must live with these features, like them or not, in
corporate and other Gmail accounts.

Also, I have a number of outside email accounts and I was in the
practice of sending important emails to these accounts for backup
storage.  Once Gmail came, Gmail blocked these messages to
multiple recipients, all me, as spam.  My frustration was ended
when my institution rerouted my outgoing mail from my alternative
email reader to another server, instead of the Gmail server and
more recently, I can also send mail to several recipients from my
Gmail account directly, so this problem may have been solved for
me in my Gmail account.

I hope that the institutions that adopt Gmail have good computer
services units that will help users and interact with Google
regarding Gmail account problems as has thankfully been the case
for me, this is a very important ingredient in this formula.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
jwne@temple.edu