Re: PLOS article metrics

No, I haven't missed the continuing peer review; I wrote about it
back in 2004 prior to the launch of PLOS One:
http://j.mp/Kh4zJ.  I call this "post-publication peer review."
PLOS is doing a great job with this, though this is an area where
there is undoubtedly more to come.

The question that is raised here is whether with post-publication
peer review, is pre-publication peer review necessary any longer?
This would not have been possible in the print era, but now that
annotations can be placed directly on Web pages, an article's
commentary becomes as much a part of it as the research that
underlies it.

With post-publication peer review alone, augmented by truly
powerful computer systems for linking, annotations, etc., the
cost of editorial review would drop much further.  Indeed, it
should not cost more to upload an article to a service than it
does to download a song on iTunes.

This is the real long-term threat PLOS faces: the possibility
that the innovation it helped to spawn continues to develop until
PLOS itself is marginalized by its high cost structure.  PLOS,
having chipped away at the principal and practice of peer review,
is on its way to learn that unmediated computer processes are
mere bits, and bits are free.

Joe Esposito