Re: Access to 2009 H1N1 Flu information

Returning to the Science example, I am at a loss to understand
the logic of erecting not one barrier to information access, but
two.

The cost of an institutional subscription to this title costs, in
our case, many thousands of dollars, yet in spite of this the
most recent Science articles are locked away in a separate
section, Science Express, and need yet another subscription to
access them. We are all familiar with scientists giving away the
results of their research to publishers and then their libraries
having to pay to access this, but in this case they must also
have personal subscriptions as well. Some business model!

Shirley Ainsworth

> When editorial and financial imperatives trump research concerns,
> fake journals appear and scientific associations begin to behave
> in ways that are contrary to their stated mandates (disseminate
> knowledge).

btw, I loved the theological explanation!!