Re: University of Maryland's Open Access Deliberations

How does one even begin to measure the "economic value" of OA
for, say, a work of literary criticism or a monograph on Hume's
philosophy? We scholarly publishers would dearly like to believe
that spreading our specialized content freely worldwide would be
a benefit to civilization, but this is an article of faith for
us, not something we have any easy way of quantifying
economically.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press