RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

> Rick's comment that publishers can choose not to participate
> "very easily" is not correct.  To opt out requires extensive
> copyright research (as does opting in).

Maybe "very" was an exaggeration, but what's why I said that my
understanding "may be flawed."  That said, according to section
3.1(b)(i) of the settlement, Google has committed to provide a
list of all books that have been digitized (or are in line to be
digitized) with a copyright date of 1922 or later.  Seems to me
like they've taken on a lot of the grunt work.  Having gone
through the claiming process myself, I can attest that it's very
easy for an author -- it would be interesting to hear from
publishers who have gone through it.

By the way, I missed a subtlety of the language here -- to "opt
out," (which actually is very easy) means to opt out of the
settlement agreement, and is not the same thing as excluding
books from display.

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
University of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu