Re: concepts of perpetuity

I am not so sure about this.

To slightly rephrase Sally's formulation. Could one trust an
aggregator or publisher that offered to maintain access
'indefinitely"? I suspect that a publisher who promised to
maintain a digital service perpetually without additional charges
might not be trusted. But if they promised to maintain it
indefinitely? Perhaps such an assurance would be trustworthy. See
the way consumer oriented services such as gmail and flickr seem
to be believed when they offer apparently indefinite free access.
And what about an indefinite service for really tiny fees?
Suppose a business offered to maintain indefinite access for some
very small recurrent charge (like 1%, or 0.5%, or .01% pa) of an
outright purchase cost), would they be trusted? I think that an
honest offer of 'indefinite free access' may be sustainable and
credible. But, as i said at the beginning I am not sure about it.

And I agree that the answer to Anne's original question is 'No'.

Adam Hodgkin