Provostial Publishing: a return to circa 1920

This starts looking like publishing at the turn of the century --
a college-centric model of dissemination where titles like
'Bulletin of the College of Agriculture' were the norm (and still
exist in places like India).  These collections of collective
faculty output gradually faded when subject-centric models of
publishing became the norm.  They faded because researchers can
create 'invisible colleges' [1] of other like-minded researchers
from other colleges, and because these new communities (lets call
them 'journals' and 'societies') become much more salient than
one's home institution.

To use Joe's business term, 'brand', a college or publisher is a
much weaker brand than a journal or society brand.  The Harvard
brand carries a gatekeeping stamp [2], since it necessarily
filters out everyone who cannot (or does not care) to be part of
the Harvard faculty.  Yet, it is still stuck in the 1920s model
of college-centric publishing.  Now someone will respond to my
post and claim that it is possible to create 'channels' or
'layers' to provide some organization to this shoebox model.  Or
alternatively, that when enough colleges do this, we could create
'information streams' that would facilitate a democratic
participatory model of subject-focused publishing.  Folks, you
have just reinvented the modern journal.

--Phil Davis