RE: In the news (Georgia State)

Not wishing to split hairs, Joe, but Paul Ginsparg didn't
separate certification and dissemination - the high energy
physics community had done that already.  For years they had
shared preprints with the rest of the (fairly small) community.
What arXiv did was make that process faster, cheaper and more
convenient.  That's why it didn't take a government mandate to
force authors to use it.

As David notes there is still an interesting relationship between
arXiv and journals - at least in high energy physics.  Most of
the readership comes from arXiv, but the libraries for the time
being are still subscribing to the journals.  For how much longer
I wonder... the academics seem to understand the value that the
journals add, so maybe forever!

Ian