Re: Token copensation, was: In the news (Georgia State)

Rather than pay referees, which would increase costs that would
increase the price of the journals, the American Physical Society
has recently chosen to give recognition each year to a very small
fraction of our 42,000 active referees.  Recognition of a small
number who have done an exceptional job is an important way that
institutions can promote an activity.  Almost all Universities
have teaching awards or service awards to bring attention to
those individuals that have done an outstanding job.  The
announcement of the awards each year gives an opportunity to
bring attention to the activity and speak about its value to the
community.  By initiating the program, APS expresses its
appreciation to all referees.

The APS award program recognizes 130 "Outstanding Referees" each
year.  We have records going back 20 years with information for
each referee, and we've started the program this year by
recognizing a larger group of 534 referees.  Each awardee
receives a lapel pin and a certificate.  The referees were chosen
for the quality, quantity, and timeliness of their reports
without regard to membership in the APS, country of origin, or
field of research.  They come from 34 different countries with
large contingents from the US, Germany, UK, Canada, and France.
The names of this year's honorees are listed at:
http://publish.aps.org/OutstandingReferees

It would be nice if there were an immediate effect of this
program, but we take the very long term view that by highlighting
and recognizing individuals who have done an outstanding service
to the community we will encourage younger scientists to emulate
our "Outstanding Referees."

Gene D. Sprouse
Editor in Chief, American Physical Society