RE: Authors rights: Going too far

Heather Morrison raises an interesting question.

> "Perhaps it is timely for collections librarians to add
> Author's Rights as a key criterion, when evaluating journal
> subscriptions to add, or to cancel?"

Contrary to Joseph Esposito's response, and an orthogonal comment
from Phil Davis, Heather comment is controversial insomuch as it
posits a future criterion.

The time arrived at least a few years ago for Authors' Rights
concerns to be a part of the subscription evaluation process in
academic and research libraries.  liblicense-l, of all discussion
fora, is not a place to question whether or not the
subscription/licensing terms are relevant in making collections
decisions.  A full consideration of publishers' policies
includes:

* subscription fees, if any * access restrictions * access
statistics supplied by vendor to subscriber * publisher platform
compatibility with standards-based link resolver technologies *
page charges * color charges * authors' rights/author-publisher
contracts &/or licenses

In point of fact, these considerations are relevant whether or
not a subscription decision is being made.  Caltech Library
Services <http://library.caltech.edu/> provides a number of
services for affiliated authors
<http://library.caltech.edu/authors/authorservices.htm>.

We have posted a couple of recent analyses of journals
<http://library.caltech.edu/authors/journalanalyses.htm> which
solicited articles or peer review services by Caltech faculty.
[Analyses were requested by the faculty.  Posting of the analyses
was done with their knowledge and permission.]

The manner in which a publisher addresses issues of authors'
rights is not an overriding concern in institutional subscription
decisions.  It is certainly a matter which librarians assess and
understand.  Authors' rights policies are an essential part of
the context a journal plays in the scholarly communication
environment.

Surely no one here has forgotten the lessons learned from Gordon
& Breach.  G&B are no longer a going concern due solely to
egregious pricing.  G&B attempted to abrogate fair use/fair
dealing/moral rights/interlibrary lending through contract law
embedded in subscription agreements.  The cancellations which
rippled across the globe were a reaction by authors and libraries
to the stranglehold G&B attempted to maintain on the intellectual
content.

Librarians are unlikely to forbid authors from submitting their
work to specific journals or publishers.  They may, however,
provide data and tools (guidance and advice, when asked for
opinion) about the state of authors' rights, fees (subscription &
author based), visibility via indexing, accessibility (large
subscription base or toll free access), average delay between
submission/acceptance/publication, and other factors, but
specifically within the context of the author/reviewer's field of
interest.  Tools of note, for librarians and authors, include
EigenFactor <http://eigenfactor.org/> and the Journal
Cost-Effectiveness Calculator <http://journalprices.com/>.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125-4300
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681