Berg Wins Publishing Technology E-Publishing Award

10th March 2008, Oxford, UK, Berg Publishers is very pleased to
announce that it has won the Publishing Technology E-Publishing
Award at the 2008 Independent Publishing Awards. Berg was praised
for its efforts to develop new digital strategies and
partnerships and for increasing its sales from e-publishing
activities. The judges commented: "Berg is making smart use of
both technology and content to reach out to its customers. It is
a shining example of a publisher previously limited to print but
now making bold new moves into new mediums." The panel added that
they were impressed by the high standard of entries in this
category. "Independent publishers are clearly thinking very
creatively about new technologies."

Commenting on the Awards, Berg's Managing Director Kathryn Earle
said: "We are using our e-initiatives to exploit existing
proprietary content from backlist books and journals and to
showcase new IP. We are thrilled to have won the inaugural award
in this important category - particularly amongst such stiff
competition. Through this Independent Publishing Award, the IPG
are at the forefront in recognizing the importance of new
technologies to the publishing industry. Smaller publishers are
nimble and can quickly embrace new channels to market. It's a
very exciting time to be an independent publisher, now that we
have a much more level playing field with the internet. We are
extremely proud of this achievement."

Berg, an Oxford-based academic publisher, has a major online
reference work on dress and fashion currently in development. It
has a particularly strong backlist in fashion studies, having
launched the pioneering journal Fashion Theory in 1997. At the
end of 2002, Earle led a Management Buy-Out and attracted equity
funding to build Berg's books and journals programmes. Post
buy-out, turnover has more than doubled, with significant growth
coming through e-publishing activities. Thirteen journals have
been added to Berg's portfolio, up from two, and the books
programme has diversified to include reference and textbook
publishing. The company has also been awarded a BIC Product Data
Excellence Gold Award for 2007-2008.

For further information please email vselbach@bergpublishers.com
or phone Veruschka Selbach at the number below.

Berg
1st Floor, Angel Court
81 St Clements Street
Oxford OX4 1AW