the snowman's travails (more)

A further exchange David Rosenthal and I had on his blog
overnight . . .

David Rosenthal said:

     I should have used Google earlier. It turns out that a team
at the University of North Carolina is in fact selecting and
collecting YouTube video of the 2008 Presidential campaign. They
describe their system in this paper (PDF).

     However, their focus is on the process of identifying and
selecting suitable videos. Their paper ignores the issues of
preservation.

     The paper also fails to make the economic case for expending
resources on collecting and preserving video that there is no
convincing reason to believe won't be available from YouTube
indefinitely. To steal Jim's words from the comment above, they
don't think the snowman is lucky. I should stress that I believe
the case can be made, but it is not a slam dunk and it does not
depend on knowing whether Google will continue to make the video
available. Maybe you trust a single archive to control history.
Or maybe you are worried about future Winston Smiths, whether
corporate or governmental.

     October 15, 2007 10:49 PM

Jim O'Donnell said...

     And meanwhile, Google themselves just made the rights
management issue harder. If you got those snowman clips from CNN
or another provider that claims copyright, well . . .:

*****

     Google Takes Step on Video Copyrights
     By MIGUEL HELFT
     Published: October 16, 2007, New York Times

     "SAN BRUNO, Calif., Oct. 15 - Google is seeking to put an end
to the copyright wars over online video.

     "On Monday, the company unveiled a long-anticipated system
that, if effective, would allow media companies to prevent their
clips from being uploaded to YouTube without permission.

     "Whether the system will work well enough to satisfy media
companies who have been irked by the proliferation of
unauthorized copyrighted clips on YouTube is not yet clear. But
if successful, the system, which Google is offering to all media
companies, could usher in a detente between them and Google."

     Jim O'Donnell