Significance of BMJ figures

The significance depends on how carefully you look at it:

Some arithmetic:

Corrected for response rate, that's 35,254 unique individuals
during a single week. Approximately 2/3 of them are visiting for
the first time, which gives 36,111 new visitors, which amounts to
960,000 new visitors a year.  This figures are for what has been
deliberately selected as the slowest week of the year, July
13-20.  Assuming that average activity is twice that, this is 2
million people a year.

About half the total visitors (including the medically related
80%) did not have subscription access---either personal or
institutional-- to the full site.

If we add "other", which seems reasonable in this context, that
would be another 50%. (Journalists are a separate category, not
included)

2 to 3 million people a year. A twofold increase per year would
mean 4 - 6 million next year. These numbers are about double what
I would have guessed.

The amount of the demand looks a little different when you look
at people instead of percentages.

2-3 million a year. One single journal. Astounding.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu