Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:51 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Homer Simpson at the NIH

The LA Times editorial made me think of The Simpsons Movie. When
Bart tells Homer that "this is the worst thing that ever happened
to me," Homer's cheerful, paternal reply is, "It's the worst
thing that ever happened to you--so far!"  Yes, it can get worse

Of course taxpayer-funded research results should be made
available at no or marginal cost to the citizenry.  I'm a
citizen, too, and I support this, just as I support publishing or
posting requirements for any grant-funded research.  (All
universities should be doing this, too, by providing the
resources to their university presses.)  The problem is that this
is NOT what the NIH is proposing.  The NIH is not funding the
apparatus for publishing.  It hopes to "borrow" it from the
publishing industry, which has its own interests and
prerogatives.  This is not a moral argument but an economic one.
What the NIH lacks is the moral courage to stand up to its
economic situation.

In an alternate universe, where the NIH acted thoughtfully and
responsibly, the NIH would fund and develop the means to review
and publish material based on NIH research.  The money for this
would come from other areas; it has to come from somewhere.  If
someone, anyone, developed a way to take advantage of the open
access, peer-reviewed material (text-mining? authoring of
syntheses?), that's fine.

The problem with the NIH plan is that the catch-and-release
publishing it relies on (exclusive publishing rights for 6 or 12
months, open access thereafter) will inexorably undermine the
economics of the original publications, even if those rights are
temporarily exclusive. Older material has economic value, even if
that value is in building Web destination sites that can be used
to generate traffic for other revenue-based services. Publishers
will factor in the lost value of the older material.

Publishers will naturally (they already are) be thinking of where
best to put their capital to work.  Over time less money will go
into maintaining the current system; smaller publishers,
especially small not-for-profit publishers, will suffer most. The
overall costs of scholarly communications will rise.  The NIH
authorized repositories will exist, but be of diminishing value.
By analogy, any American taxpayer can go to the IRS site for tax
information, but most taxpayers have learned to go elsewhere, to
books, other commercial Web sites, and accountants.

To put this simply:  the question for a publisher is, Would you
rather make 10% working with NIH-sponsored work or 20% working
outside the NIH umbrella? The investment will move away from the
NIH and the system that the NIH astonishingly thinks will
persevere forever will becoming less valuable to everyone.

But as Homer says, the worst is yet to come.

Joe