RE: Wikipedia?

Karl Bridges likened Wikipedia to an "online version of a large
white wall in the South Bronx with a bin of magic markers and
spray paint next to it."

While it may not be the "serious professional reference tool"
that Karl wants to compare it to, Wikipedia is more than a "large
white wall in the South Bronx". See, for example, Thomas
Chesney's "An empirical examination of Wikipedia's credibility"
in FirstMonday, volume 11, number 11 (November 2006)
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_11/chesney/index.html

Karl also suggests that Wikipedia editing might be limited to "a
paid staff who knew what they were doing". If my memory serves me
correctly, Wikipedia started as a side project of Nupedia (which
was an attempt to develop a professional level peer-reviewed
online encyclopedia). While these editors were unpaid volunteers,
they did know what they were doing. And I believe Nupedia fell by
the wayside in about 2003. It was a business model that didn't
seem to work very well. Larry Sanger, the original
editor-in-chief of Nupedia, and one of the co-founders of
Wikipedia along with Jimmy Wales, is taking another stab at the
concept of a resource with more editorial control than Wikipedia
with his new Citizendium project (http://www.citizendium.org/).

Bernie Sloan