Re: 2006 BioOne Progress Report Now Available

The BioOne model is also incompatible with open access. What it
share with Green OA is the sensitivity to subscribers being
willing to continue the print subscriptions.  Many librarians,
including myself, maintained print subscriptions (they were
mostly inexpensive) in order to help BioOne, sometimes as a
response to personal appeals--but no publisher can count on that
kind of subsidy continuing.

Besides such support from libraries, many of their titles owe
their survival to the demand for member print subscriptions. I
would expect this to decline over time with the age-related
changes in membership.

The rational way for publishing most of the titles on their list
as the need for print decreases is directly and inexpensively by
individual university departments or museums. Some of the titles
are already sponsored in this fashion.  Whether BioOne can make
this transition remains to be seen.  It is one of the unfortunate
paradoxes that some of the small journals that could technically
make the easiest change to OA may be among the last to do so.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu