University of Chicago journals - Enterprise License

Forwarded for Paul Metz.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:41:15 -0500
From: Paul Metz <pmetz@vt.edu>

Cross-posting this, with apologies for duplication:

I'm surprised not to have seen strong expressions of concern from the community about the University of Chicago's "enterprise model,"

<http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/subs_inst_enterprise.html>,

which provides some excellent features including greater speed, supplemental content, and rss feeds but, sadly, introduces the necessity to pay extra for more than one simultaneous user for journals. I would have expected the community to decry what I think is a horrifying precedent to be coming from a university press -- imagine a day in which we all have to make title-by-title decisions about the number of users for each of our electronic journals.

Am I alone in this? Is anything being done or are we all rolling over?

Paul Metz, Director of Collection Management
University Libraries / Virginia Tech
P.O. Box 90001 / Blacksburg, VA / 24062-9001
Ph: (540) 231-5663 FAX: (540) 231-3694 email: pmetz@vt.edu