Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled Subscriptions

On 20-Nov-06, at 5:29 AM, Chris Beckett wrote:

Just briefly, in response to Heather's points,

1. "Removing a key factor, at best, makes the validy [validity] of a study questionable."

- No it doesn't. The survey doesn't pretend to have measured all the factors in content selection preference - but most of them. The factors measured were validly measured. (Bad brakes and worn tyres increase the likelihood of car crashes - I don't need to know how bad the brakes are to know that worn tyres increase the likelihood of car crashes.)

Interesting, Chris, however I disagree.

Since we're using car comparison, let's say we remove a key variable when investigating the likelihood that cars will work well for us - for example, the engine.

We might do a study of consumer preferences to determine car purchase decisions that looks at a number of admittedly important variables - such as cost, safety, colour - but if we overlook something that is a key variable to the consumer - does the car have an engine?, then our study is likely to be a poor predictor of consumer behavior, isn't it?

"Importance to the collection" is to library purchasing decisions what "does it have an engine?" is to the person purchasing a car. If this key variable is missing, all the others are irrelevant.

best,

Heather Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com