Re: ARL Institutional Repositories SPEC Kit

I look further at some of the numbers given in the posting:
(based on in the Executive Summary of the report at
http://www.arl.org/spec/SPEC292web.pdf) *

>   - The mean cost of IR implementation was $182,550.
>      - The mean annual IR operation cost was $113,543.

Quoting from p. 16 of the Executive Summary:

>For start-up, 67% of budgets fall below $75,000, 14% are $75,000
>to $125,000, and 19% are $150,000 or greater. The maximum
>start-up budget ($1,800,000) is far greater than the next
>highest ($400,000) and is from an institution that included
>extensive software development and testing costs in its start-up
>budget.
>
>For ongoing budgets, there is a similar concentration at the
>ends of the ranges: 50% are below $50,000 and 50% are $100,000
>or greater. The maximum ongoing budget ($500,000) is also much
>greater than the next highest ($300,000) and is reported by an
>institution that has a major role in a state-wide IR
>initiative."

(The Executive summary also give the median, which for those have
implemented the repository is $45,000 start up --with a minimum
value of $8,000 and $42,000 operating costs -- with a minimum
value of $8,600).

It is of course possible to spend a great deal more--in the
million dollar range--if one counts the costs of developing a
large-scale-wide network, or extensive new software. Developing a
such a system is outside the category of Institutional
Repositories, and should not have been included.

If i were giving a list of key points, I would have at least
mentioned the low end, especially for the start up costs: It can
be done for less than $10,000, even at a large research
university. (And all the ARL libraries are by definition at large
research universities.)

In giving a brief highlights on a posting, there is a special
responsibility on the authors of a report such as this. They must
ensure that the key values properly represent the data, because
such numbers alone will be what is quoted further.

Perhaps the 22% of ARL libraries not planning an IR are dismayed
by misleading cost data.

Dr. David Goodman> formerly
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library

dgoodman@princeton.edu

* I will be glad to revise this in the light of the full report, if the authors
will send it to me. If one publishes with only the Executive Summary OA, one
will be judged by that Summary.