RE: Chicago Journals 2007 subscription rates now available

Hi Bernd-Christoph,

I don't believe you are alone at all - I just think there are so
many changes to pricing taking place at the moment that it's hard
to keep up with it all! However as you already know this isn't a
change for Chicago journals as cancellation of a subscription to
their journals has always resulted in total loss of online access
to a title. Nevertheless I take your point about not having
perpetual access to license and paid-for content.

My other concern is that I do not accept that tiered pricing
based purely on an institution's FTEs is the way forward. This is
an extremely crude way to price products and is biased against
institutions with large numbers of undergraduates, and smaller
levels of research active staff/students. It is after all
researchers who make the largest use of journals, undergraduate
use is often a learning experience. Anyway, we now find ourselves
in Tier 4 - and guess what the pricing for this is not publicly
available (see
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/2007_inst_rates.pdf) and we have
to contact their journal sales for a quote I presume. Why isn't
the pricing for Tier 4 institutions out there for everyone to
see?

I notice that Chicago Journals say they talked to customers and
agent partners about this as well as conducting focus groups to
get this equitable pricing. It would be useful to know who these
people are that they talked to and whether they are indeed
representative of the different parts of the community.

I am also concerned that having some exceptions to this new
Enterprise-Wide License i.e. The Astronomical Journal, The
Astrophysical Journal, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement
Series, and Publications of the Astronomical Society of the
Pacific adds yet another complication for institutions who have a
mix of Chicago journals. The journal renewal season is getting
more and more complicated as each publisher introduces their own
new pricing regimes.

Like you we will probably for the meantime stay with a
print/online or online only subscription with a usage concurrency
of one. However, this is a retrograde step for us. Of course,
since COUNTER usage statistics are not yet available for our
Chicago journals subscriptions we won't be able to know until
after the event whether we took the right decision for our users!

That's all for now.

Lesley Crawshaw, Faculty Information Consultant,
Learning and Information Services
University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, AL10 9AB
email: l.a.crawshaw@herts.ac.uk