Re: Legal Deposit Libraries Act

Though I am not an expert, the author's misconceptions are so
clear that anyone with minimal knowledge can clarify them.

>From the whole article it is clear that the author is concerned
about US and UK libraries, but is not aware of the differences
between the educational and legal systems of the US and the UK.

The act referred to is UK. The UK Copyright site is at see
http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy/legislation/copylaw.htmI

That page links to the site for The Legal Deposit Libraries Act
2003 at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/20030028.htm, with
the curious note that it is "not in force."

But it specifies the UK libraries as the  "British Library, and
(a) the National Library of Scotland,
(b) the National Library of Wales,
(c) the Bodleian Library, Oxford,
(d) the University Library, Cambridge,
(e) the Library of Trinity College, Dublin;"

I too cannot find meaning in "No one ever said it could be passed
on in electronic form to a third party" As would be expected,
there is nothing in this law prohibiting it either. There are
regulations about just how copies are to used, but i have not
searched them.

Interestingly, the UK law has an exemption for "making a
temporary copy where this is necessary for the purpose of using
the material" (Section 7(2)b) ) which clearly obviates one of the
objections to GoogleBooks, as far as the UK is concerned.

The corresponding US provisions are in title 17, with the legal
deposit provisions and somme of te regulations at
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ07d.html. LC is the only
copytight deposit library in th US, though some items are sent
from there to the other national libraries.

The article says it is an edited version of a podcast, which I
have not seen, at
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/03/04/
nigel_newton_addresses_the_guardian_review_world_book_day_forum.html

The article talks about "the Bodleian and Harvard" without
realizing this differences. Do not the editors at the Guardian
know about them? We have been citing the Guardian as a
knowledgable source, but this affects its credibility.

The errors made in the UK when talking about US practice are
legendary. The reverse is probably true as well. If I have
misunderstood the UK please correct me, but I have at least read
the relevant statutes.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University