Re: Ocean Science from EGU

I am not a geoscientist either, but, I have been looked at the site of
this journal from time to time. Dr. Prosser obviously knows more than I do
because I am unable to judge the quality of the articles it is attracting.
There are 11 published so far. The journal has a very interesting
refereeing policy, which may well be a pointer to future permutations of
traditional peer review.

My only concern about this policy as described at
http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/os/publication_process.html is that it seems
rather labour intensive. I cannot see editors I deal with being keen to
adopt it for that reason. There is certainly no reason why the peer review
should not be seriously rigorous.

As far as I can tell there is no explanation of how much it costs the
author to publish in this journal in the instructions for submission - see
http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/os/guidelines_for_publication.html.  The
only reason why I assume that there are or will be submission charges is a
statement in red at http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/os/os.html which says
that they are waived for 1000 pages.

There is at the moment considerable interested in the sustainability of OA
publishing models sparked in part by the excellent independent survey by
ALPSP, the body representing learned society publishers - see
http://www.alpsp.org/publications/pub11.htm. It is impossible to tell what
model this and sister journals adopt. They have a print version, which
does have a subscription rate - which means that they do not get the cost
advantages of an entirely e-publication. As I have mentioned the editorial
costs in terms of time are likely to be higher than a journal operating a
standard peer review system. More time spent by editors usually (in my
experience) means higher payments by the publisher.

It would be very interesting to know whether the EGU is subsidising its
publications alongside the impressive range of other activities it
supports - .http://www.copernicus.org/EGU/EGU.html. It seems to me that
there can be no objection if a learned society does wish to subsidise its
publications, but the money has to come from somewhere. Is Dr. Prosser in
a position to tell us more? I am sure that SPARC Europe must be involved
somewhere or do I overestimate his outreach?

Anthony Watkinson