RE: CHE on bookless library at Merced

Forwarding for Karl Bridges, who is having trouble posting to
liblicense...

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Bridges [mailto:kbridges@uvm.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:00 AM
To: Sloan, Bernie
Subject: Fwd: RE: CHE on bookless library at Merced

I get lib-license but for some reason I can't post so I'll reply to you
and feel free to redistribute if you think it worthy.

We hear alot about the "bookless" library and that word is often used (or
some derivation (digital library, electronic library)  Could we not agree
on some common word to describe a facility which combines various formats?
Could I suggest we just call them "libraries"?  Libraries have always had
a variety of formats.

Maybe what we need is some kind of classification system e.g.

Class A -- totally digital
Class B -- digital (over 100 e-resources) with paper collections of less
than 50%
Class C -- limited (less than 100 e-resources with paper collections of
more than 50%
Class D - no electronic resources except a card catalog
Class E -- no electronic resources at all -- totally paper

And of course this could be subdivided by some other criteria like student
population so small schools under 1000 students could be listed as Class
B-2 or something.

Then one has a ready way to compare various facilities which actually
makes some sense.  It's much more accurate and useful to be able to say
that Merced is a Class B library than saying it is "bookless" or
"digital". My issue here really is that we should be accurate in our use
of language.

Karl Bridges
Associate Professor
Information and Instruction Services