Special Libraries Association, Elsevier Announce Education Partnership

--Please excuse the cross posting--

D. Menefee
Library Relations
Elsevier

Special Libraries Association, Elsevier Announce Education Partnership

Support from World-Leading STM Publisher Will Help Establish SLA Online
University

Alexandria, VA, USA, December 13, 2004 - The Special Libraries Association
(SLA) and Elsevier, a world-leading publisher of scientific and medical
information, today jointly announced their collaboration in a partnership
to support the establishment of the SLA Online University.

At a special briefing today at SLA Headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia,
Elsevier announced that it has made a one-time gift to the SLA Campaign
for Professional Development.  The contribution will be used specifically
to develop the SLA Online University, thereby significantly advancing the
professional development of SLA's over 12,000 members.

Janice R. Lachance, Executive Director of SLA, believes Elsevier's
commitment sets a standard for the information industry. "We are thrilled
with the support Elsevier has shown for our Campaign for Professional
Development and, in particular, our Online University.  By helping us
deliver on the important need of accessible and affordable professional
development opportunities, they are directly aiding the growth of
information professionals while enhancing the value of membership in SLA."

Inspired by SLA's strategic focus on learning, the concept for the SLA
Online University is to serve the continuing education needs of
information professionals worldwide.  Because of reduced budgets for
professional development and travel, many SLA members around the globe
lack the ability to participate in person at learning events. Using a
technologically advanced learning system, the SLA Online University will
give information professionals access to course libraries focusing on
development of critical business skills.  In addition, the curriculum will
comprise custom-designed courses on competencies that are crucial to the
profession, such as content management, competitive intelligence, and
identifying client needs. SLA also expects to enhance the offerings of the
Online University by including discounted access to online learning
courses from many leading universities.

Commented John Regazzi, Managing Director, Market Development and CEO for
Elsevier, Inc.:  "We at Elsevier are very pleased to have the opportunity
to strengthen our relationship with SLA and its membership in this way.
The innovative technology approach SLA is taking in bringing the Online
University to fruition is right in line with our own emphasis on
supporting and investing in new technologies, and our "Founding Partner"
role in this initiative goes straight to the heart of Elsevier's firm
commitment to supporting our customers as true partners."

####