administrivia: liblicense-l, listproc, and attachments

>From time to time the liblicense-l list, which operates with "listroc"
software, receives subscriber messages that arrive looking like long
strings of gibberish characters.  This is inevitably because somehow the
originating mailers directed these particular messages to the list
<liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu> as attachments, whether intentionally or
not.

In those cases listproc, which is unable to read, interpret, or pass on
attachments, turns them into its version of plain text, i.e., ASCII. And
the message becomes nonsense.

When that happens, I try to write back to those who posted the message and
ask them to re-send in plain text/ASCII format.  But in the last couple of
weeks more of this has been happening and so I thought, in case I
inadvertently omitted to write to you personally, it would be prudent to
send a message to the entire list.

So -- a reminder to all subscribers:  your messages are very welcome.
When you do write to liblicense-l or any listproc powered list, please (1)
don't include attachments such as PDFs; and (2) please set your mailer so
that outgoing messages are sent as ASCII rather than as some form of
attachment that your mailer may prefer to use.  Otherwise, listproc will
set its dark angels upon your message and it won't be able to be sent to
list subscribers.

We expect to be migrating this list to a different software within a few
months, and that migration may change the attachment situation (it's not
certain that this tiem).  Yale is gradually switching over to a software
called mailman, but this list is one of our bigger ones and we want to be
sure we learn all of our lessons on the smaller, inernal lists before we
change over. You'll hear more about the transfer when the time draws
nearer.  At that time we'll also be able to clear out of the archive some
of the junk spam messages that sneaked in during the earlier part of this
year.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ann Okerson/liblicense-l moderator
ann.okerson@yale.edu

PS.  Should you wish to contact me with questions about the list or with
messages not to be forwarded to liblicense-l, please *don't* reply to this
message.  Replies to it come into the moderator's queue, which I read only
at certain times, once a day at most and they fill up and delay that
queue.  Do write messages of inquiry to me directly at:
<ann.okerson@yale.edu>