Re: pay by the drink journal access

Brian/

Several years ago, before I saw the Light of Open Access / Open Archives
[:-), I investigated/considered the ramifications of Pay Per View
e-journal/e-article access.

[Pay Per View seems to be the current preferred phrase [although as an
Irish American, I prefer 'Pay Per Drink' (PPD)  myself [:-) ]]

Since I first investigated PPV several years ago, most of the major as
well as minor e-journal publishers have come to offer PPV options.

BTW: I know that ScienceDirect offers a PPV for guest users [
http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/accessing_content/pay_per_view/index.shtml
] [?]

and have asked a colleague to investigate whether a PPV option was
available to subscribers for non-subscribed titles.

If you search Library Literature/ LISA/ ISTA under 'Pay Per View' you
should find several key articles.

If you Google 'Pay Per View' and 'McKiernan' you'll find previous e-list
discussion on the topic

(e.g,
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/9809/msg00029.html )

Gerry McKiernan
PPD Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

P.S. Although I have *not* updated it in more than 4 years [:-(, you may
also be interested in my registry devoted to "Electronic Article Delivery
Services"  called _Just-in-Time(sm)_

[  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Just.htm ] .