Re: AAP/PSP Open letter to Dr. Zerhouni (NIH) -Gov Info

Forwarded from cni-copoyright list, as related to exchanges on
liblicense-l.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:15:30 -0400
From: "Klein, Bonnie" <BKlein@DTIC.MIL>
To: CNI-COPYRIGHT -- Copyright & Intellectual Property
    <CNI-COPYRIGHT@cni.org>
Subject: [CNI-(C)]  Re: AAP/PSP Open letter to Dr. Zerhouni (NIH) -Gov  Info

I'd like to direct your attention to the "CENDI Frequently Asked Questions
About Copyright" http://www.dtic.mil/cendi/publications/04-8copyright.html
Section 4: WORKS CREATED UNDER A FEDERAL CONTRACT OR GRANT 4.3 If the
Contractor is Allowed to Assert Copyright in a Work Produced Under a
Government Contract, What Rights Does the Government Have?

The Government's license is a nonexclusive, irrevocable, worldwide license
to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display or disclose the work
by or on behalf of the Government. The Government may use the work within
the Government without restriction, and may release or disclose the work
outside the Government and authorize persons to whom release or disclosure
has been made to use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display, or
disclose the work on behalf of the government. The Government's license
includes the right to distribute copies of the work to the public for
government purpose. While the contractor may assign its copyright in
"scientific and technical articles based on or containing data first
produced in the performance of a contract" to a publisher, the
Government's license rights attach to the articles upon creation and later
assignment by the contractor to a publisher are subject to these rights."

Most STI publisher copyright transfer agreements recognize the U.S.
Government's license in contracted works.  For unequivocal clarification,
what needs to be added to the Federal Acquisitions Regulation (FAR),
Defense Supplement (DFARS) and copyright transfer agreements is the
government's right to "use, modify, reproduce, release, perform, display
or disclose" contractor or grant works AS PUBLISHED.

Regarding government information management, the Interagency Committee on
Government Information (ICGI) http://www.cio.gov/documents/ICGI.html which
was created in June 2003 to implement Section 207 of the EGovernment Act
of 2002 (Public Law 107-347, 44 U.S.C. Ch 36) has an extensive and
ambitious agenda to draft recommendations and share effective practices
for:

	Access to federal government information.
	Dissemination of federal government information.
	Retention of federal government information.

The Electronic Records Policy Working Group under the leadership of the
National Archives and Records Administration was asked to consider a
recommendation that Government archive journal articles and conference
papers which result from government funding.

CENDI is an interagency working group of senior Scientific and Technical
Information (STI) Managers from 12 U.S. federal agencies.  These programs
represent over 96% of the FY04 federal research and development budget and
have long served as Government "institutional repositories."

Bonnie Klein
Technical Reports Team Lead & Chair, CENDI Copyright Working Group
Defense Technical Information Center