Institutional Open Access Membership

I am sending the following message on behalf of the PNAS publisher, Ken
Fulton; however, please respond to me if you have questions or comments.

Thank you,

George Kendall
Production, Marketing, and Licensing Manager
PNAS
E-mail: gkendall@nas.edu
--------------------------------

Dear Colleague,

The benefits of open access to the scientific literature are obvious and
unassailable, and this year we instituted an open access option for
authors.

We also believe that it is essential to involve institutions in open
access for its long-term viability, and beginning in 2005, each PNAS
Institutional Site License will automatically include an Institutional
Open Access Membership. Corresponding authors from institutions with 2005
Site Licenses/Open Access Memberships will receive a 25% discount off our
Open Access Fee (regularly $1000) to make their papers immediately free
online. We offer this plan without increasing our site license rates over
2004.

A number of librarians have told us that they support this new initiative,
and we hope that it will provide an incentive for institutions to adopt
site licenses, to which we have given added value. Please help us inform
authors at your institution about the PNAS Open Access Option and the 2005
Site License/Open Access Membership discount. PNAS is a break-even
operation and relies about equally on author fees and on subscription fees
to cover its operating costs.