E-Journal overlays (was: Authors and OA)

(from the web site, at: <www.library.yale.edu/~llicense> for the word
"overlay," one gets a return of a posting entitled International "Learned
Journals Seminar" Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:50:03.

Part of the seminar's agenda reads:

	o The journal as an overlay on preprint databases:  Bob Kelly,
	American Physical Society

	This talk will describe the proposed integration of Physical
	Review articles, from 1893 onwards, with physics literature in
	electronic preprint archives ("e-prints") along with databases and
	electronic books. Recognising the value of e-prints, the APS makes
	bibliographic information (Title, Author and Abstract) freely
	available on the WWW for browsing and as a target for linking.
	This bibliographic information is referred to as the "wrapper,"
	and is the focal point for access to the article and for
	APS article connections to other databases, including e-prints.

Now, it's not quite what Brian proposes, but my recollection is that a few
years back, the validation of articles in eprint sites was indeed a topic
of discussion.  I'm not sure how far the idea has advanced meanwhile or
where or what lists to troll for it, but perhaps others on liblicense-l
can help out.  Ann Okerson/Yale Library