RE: Versions

Dear Anthony,

There are journals from some commercial publishers with very little
editing. Mentioning a few examples would be unfair, but it is merely
necessary to look at some of the journals near the bottom of ISI's
rankings for most subjects.  To me, the most obvious sign of low quality
is poor reproduction of illustrations. The next step is to look for
indecipherable sentences.  This would seem an obvious way to save costs
for titles that yield little revenue.

My view has always been that journals that accept almost all the papers,
and do not do editing seriously, could be advantageously replaced by a
suitable repository with adequate arrangements for a permanent copy, and
accessibility for indexing. This would promote access and save library
costs, and give the publishers an incentive to invest in better projects.

(Like Anthony, I mention that this is not relevant directly to Open
Access; it is not the same as the extremely important endeavor to make
well-published articles available without charge in some useful version by
self-archiving as a supplement to the commercial version).

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu