Re: Wellcome Trust report

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:29:34 -0600
From: Margaret Landesman <margaret.landesman@library.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Wellcome Trust report

Ann:  Would you forward this?  Margaret

--------------

My colleague has been working in Ethiopian academic libraries and her
Ethiopian colleague spent six months here.  They came to the opposite
conclusion - electronic works better for them.

The Ethiopian libraries have very few computers and intermittent online
access.  But they know that they can queue requests and print them when
the system is up, even if that's once a week.  (Their most urgent need is
for a generator so as to avoid several hours a day without electricity
altogether.)

But the postal system is so insecure and unreliable that they hand carry
books for ILL library to library.  And felt that even if they had any
acquisitions money - which they don't, they rely on gift materials - it
wouldn't work to subscribe because the paper copy just never arrives.

I think we need to distinguish between:
1) electronic as a medium for the end user and
2) electronic as a way of transmitting texts

In many cases, a mixed model may be best - in this one, transmit
electronically but give to the end user in print.

Margaret Landesman
University of Utah