Re: Wellcome Trust report

Thank you for this clarification. Never had I seen the fundamental
divergence between the academic agenda and the commercial publishers
exposed so clearly and yet so pithily.

The point about capitalism is not that capitalism does not have a place in
our societies; it is that it does not and cannot occupy all of the social
space.  Scholarly and scientific communication are not served by being
integrated to capitalism. Making capitalism look "natural" in the context
of scholarly publishing is not a reality or a truth; it is a claim or, at
best, a thesis.

Once you note that commercial publishers may be eminently "out of place"
in scholarly communication, it all becomes very clear: the only reason we
deal with them is that they command an all too real power position in
academic publishing. In the end, it all comes down to (economic) power.

Nothing new here, except that it might be worthwhile to reassert that
capitalism is not a natural state of affairs and that it did not emerge on
the 8th day of creation. Neither does it enjoy universal validity.

Jean-Claude Gu�don