Re: Random thoughts on scholarly communication

I do find that what Colin writes is (as usual) thought provoking and I
agree with much of his analysis but I am puzzled by his emphasis on
"public good". Scholarly communication is about communication between
scholars. Scholarly publication is the formal part of scholarly
communication (or at least part of the formal part) and involves scholars
writing messages to one another and to scholars in the future, which are
composed in such a way that very few members of the public can understand
these messages. It is not the purpose of this exercise.

Scholars know this. The CIBER survey (mentioned by Colin) uses the term
narrowcasting in commenting on the results from one of the questions
specifically aimed at elucidating this point. The URL for this survey
seems to be moving around but currently I can reach it at
http://ciber.soi.city.ac.uk/ciber-pa-report.pdf. I would guess that most
scholars are keen on the "public" understanding what they are doing but
this is a different business from scholarly communication. It requires
explanation and interpretation and there is more of this about than there
once was - at least that it my impression.

To my mind the "public good" is best served if scholars are allowed to get
on with their scholarship and not have "solutions" foisted on them by
those who serve them and facilitate what they are doing. If you asked
almost any scholar I am certain that they would rather librarians spent
their money on materials than on educating them. Does anyone disagree?

I know that I shall have ordure heaped on my head when I suggest (as I do)
that the purpose of the journal as we know it is not to give access to the
general public and that there is no moral imperative (as Colin seems to
assume without question) to provide this access.

Anthony Watkinson