Re: Open access and impact factor

Open access can easily involve peer review and do so in a completely
unambiguous way, so let us leave this issue side for the sake of this
discussion.

One can compare the impact of both toll-gated and open access (peer
reviewed)  publications if one looks at how these publications are cited
in peer-reviewed publishing systems, be they toll-gated or open-access.

The fact that open access documents can be accessed by anyone would be
meaningful only if we judged value through hits or downloads. Such
criteria have been and are being used, but like impact factors, they must
be used carefully.

Best,

Jean-Claude Gu�don