Re: Cost of Open Access

Jan:  I am not sure which end of the stick I have, as I am both an
advocate of open access publishing and a skeptic when I hear people
suggest that OA will save scholars or their institutions any money.  I
simply don't agree with you that any of the current models of OA
publishing will serve to reduce the quantity of published research.  (No
one wants to reduce the amount of research, of course, but many would like
to see the pubication of research be more discriminating.)  If scholars
paid OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS for publication, that would help; but most
OA schemes I have come across call for either the institutions to pay or
to have payment built into grant money.  And that's the problem:  No one
is taking economic responsibility for the quantity of publications--except
for publishers, who are viewed as the dogs of the research world.  Woof.

It is unfortunate that peer review is regarded as the way to keep the
filtering process in place, as peer review is very much part of the
Gutenberg paradigm.  Peer review (meaning review BEFORE the act of
publication) makes sense when the cost of production is high, as it once
was in the hardcopy world. Electronic production costs little, however
(once the fixed costs of setting up the server are borne), so the virtues
of peer review are not as compelling.  Instead, much peer review will be
replaced by multiple, virtually instantaneous commentary by readers AFTER
production. This is already evident on the preprint services that are
springing up.

Let's imagine a world where the cost of publication is reduced by half.
Let's also imagine that the amount of published material increases
tenfold. Where are the savings?

Joe Esposito