preservation

We, at BioMed Central, would fully agree with Steve. Additionally, we
ourselves have taken steps to secure archiving of whatever we publish with
open access, in various public open access repositories from where the
articles can also be freely accessed at no cost. Currently these
repositories/archives are PubMed Central, Potsdam University, INIST
France, and the Dutch National Royal Library. The latter is not just a
repository, but is taking an important leading role in committing publicly
to the active preservation of the material, including its future
transposition to new formats when and if necessary.

In order to facilitate any such future transposition, as part of our
publishing efforts we code the material in XML, which is seen by experts
as a most 'future-proof' electronic format.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central