RE: Open Access pricing and the perceived ability of research grants to cover publication costs

Whatever the solution, I should think that relying on publishers -- any
publishers -- for long-term preservation is the wrong thing to do. At
BioMed Central we hope to provide open access to what we publish 'in
perpetuity', but just in case perpetuity proves rather too long, we
deposit all our material in a (growing) range of archives, in different
countries, to avoid reliance on single (and quite possibly even
proprietary) solutions and enable the open development of structural
solutions to the question of preservation.

As for cost-evaluation, see
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews7-4.html#feature2, spotted on
Peter Suber's Open Access News blog:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html