[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: "Liblicense-L (E-mail)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: DDQ 2(2)
- From: "Hamaker, Chuck" <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:17:48 EDT
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
-----Original Message----- From: H.M. Gladney [mailto:hgladney@PACBELL.NET] Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 5:31 PM To: RIGHTS-L@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU Subject: DDQ 2(2) DDQ 2(2) is available at http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq_2_2.htm. This DIGITAL DOCUMENT QUARTERLY number starts by suggesting a divide and conquer partitioning of digital preservation challenges that can be addressed almost independently of each other. It also outlines how to resolve published uncertainties how to handle dynamic digital documents, such as those that represent artistic performances and business databases. (The resolution of the confusions is partly based on the observation that dynamic digital information presents no conceptual challenges beyond those inherent in analog recording, which has not been a problem. In fact, digital records are in principle simpler than analog information, because the former are static most of the time!) Recent months have seen the appearance of a half dozen weighty committee reports on archiving-reports that DDQ regards as required reading for anyone serious about information preservation. These are identified without much comment. The DDQ 2(2) table of contents lists: Migration, Emulation, and Durable Encoding Preserving Dynamic Behavior or Content Durable Encoding: Core Ideas Economics and Storage Critical Thinking: Managing Criticism by Investment News: Ted Codd Obituary and several Intellectual Property Events Reading Recommendations: Governmental Preservation Reports Home Computing Technology and Price Watch Cheerio, Henry H.M. Gladney, Ph.D. (408)867-5454 http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ 20044 Glen Brae Drive, Saratoga, CA 95070-5062 List archive & subscription: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/rights-l.html
- Prev by Date: New SSP Service: Join E-Mail Discussion on PLOS Initiative!
- Next by Date: SSP Discussion list--additional details
- Previous by thread: New SSP Service: Join E-Mail Discussion on PLOS Initiative!
- Next by thread: SSP Discussion list--additional details