FW: More on ERIC Reauthorization

-----Original Message-----
From: Corby, Kate [mailto:corby@MAIL.LIB.MSU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 10:42 AM
To: EBSS-L@LISTSERV.UNCC.EDU
Subject: More on ERIC Reauthorization

Hello all,

Just a quick update, I suppose many of you are not in the mood to be
concerned about ERIC on a day when we've started a war.  I want you to
know that I've been contacted by some folks in the ERIC system and our
efforts are beginning to have some effect.  They tell me that some
Congressional offices have contacted ERIC Clearinghouses in their
districts after receiving messages of concern.  I hope that we can
continue the dialog with Congress and perhaps also with Secretary Paige.
Under current conditions, FAX may be the best bet for method of contact
and I have added Secretary Paige's FAX number (202 401-0596)  to the Web
page.

http://www.lib.msu.edu/corby/education/doe.htm

Right now we are simply asking that no substantive changes be made to the
ERIC system without an opportunity for public input.  We are concerned
that planners in the Department of Education do not fully appreciate the
extent to which the Clearinghouses provide valuable services to teachers
and researchers.  The expertise that each Clearinghouse has acquired over
35 years of service is a real asset that should not be discarded lightly.

Thanks to all of you for your continuing support.

Kate Corby
 Education and Psychology Reference Librarian
 Michigan State University Libraries
 100 Library
 East Lansing Michigan 48824
(517) 432-1442