UK Research Support

Bill Russell of Emerald recently provided me with a copy of the RSLG,
Research Support Libraries Group Final Report.

"The RSLG was established by the four UK higher education funding
councils, the British Library and the national libraries of Scotland and
Wales in 2001 to make recommendations for a UK wide strategic framework
and coordinated delivery mechanisms for research information provision"
This report recommends "that a national strategy for provision should be
driven by needs of researchers."  The reports "key conclusion is that the
UK should create a new body to lead and co-ordinate the provision of
research information." This new national level body will "act as a
high-level advocate ." The report has several major recommendations for
both structure and some specific goals. I was impressed in reading it at
the call for creation of this national research support infrastructure, as
a national policy. The report recommends creation of a "Research Libraries
Network" to lead this UK wide approach to creating strategy and
prioritizing work needed done to create world-class support for UK
researchers across all fields. The report, annexes, etc is available at:
 http://www.rslg.ac.uk/