re: ACS backfile pricing/

It is good to see that ACS is willing to experiment with different pricing
models, but as for the merits of this one, I agree with Carl. Let me
propose a solution: give libraries a choice.

When I pay my dues to Sigma Xi, I have the option of a life-time
membership or paying each year, and many other organizations offer the
like.

This wouldn't even be a precedent for the ACS. Back in the days of printed
indexes, the Chemical Abstracts Service offered a choice for the 5-year
cumulations. You could pay all in advance, or a proportionate sum each
year, or anything in between. It worked very nicely for libraries: at some
point in a 5 year period, you could count on having some money. I don't
know what the exact break-even point would be, but perhaps they could
charge $4500/year, or a one time payment of $50,000. Then they wouldn't
have to concern themselves on finding the best model; the subscribers
would decide.

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Sciences Bibliographer