Re: Monopolies and competition

I have some comments to make in response to Jan Velterop's comment and
some follow up questions.

As a sort of academic I submitted four of my publications (the actual
text) to the research assessment exercise (RAE) in the UK. The panel are
said to read all the publications (four allowed for each member of the
academic staff) submitted from the departments they are assessing. They
certainly have long enough to do the reading. Is this sort of procedure
common in other similar exercises in other parts of the world? For an
exercise like this I can see that this sort of thorough investigation is
appropriate and to be welcomed, but surely simple tenure or promotion
decisions cannot all take this route? Senior academics making these sort
of decisions would hardly have time to do anything else!

The object of any journals publisher is to get an ISI ranking. They hope
to do this by attracting good papers. Existing established journals do
have a built-in advantage, but surely there are examples of new journals
rapidly moving up the lists to the top group?  All new journals have the
same problem of building up their good papers in the period before there
can be an ISI ranking. Does ISI have any relevant statistics showing the
speed with which a new journal can get established in their lists?

Academics are capable of changing their behaviour and they are attracted
to new journals given the right sort of investment in speed of refereeing/
publishing etc, a need because of shortage of pages in existing journals
or some other problems with these outlet, a quality editorial group, and
some special backing - perhaps from SPARC and perhaps from a major and
influential society or even a brand (e.g. Nature).

Incidentally I cannot see why a journal published by (say) Elsevier is
more monopoloid than one published by BioMed Central.

Anthony Watkinson
Visiting Professor in Information Science City University London