Re: Objectionable materials

Could you please forward this to <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu> as I am
not a member?

Thanks, Alex
______________________

Dear John and Peggy

This exchange was passed to me by a colleague since I don't subscribe to
<liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>.  I am responding as Chair of the IFLA
Committee on Free Access to Information and Freedom of Expression.

With respect, John, I think you misunderstand Peggy's concern.

We all know that most jurisdictions have laws which prohibit the
publication of obscene materials and, as law abiding citizens, we respect
consitutionally valid laws even if we have personal objections to them.
In democratic countries we can seek to change such laws or at least to
limit their applicability to that which the community would find
objectionable.  We can use the courts to check over-zealous application of
censorship.  Even in countries in which the right of freedom of expression
is not as clearly codified as it is in the USA's First Amendment, the law
can be used to ensure that materials are not withdrawn, banned or cut at
the whim of some official or a self appointed guardian of public morals.

In arguing such cases, the courts have to rule on whether the materials is
obscene or objectionable on other grounds.  They do so, as you say John,
in differing ways which depend on the culture, history and customs of the
jurisdiction.  Thus the TV series "Sex in the City" is shown only on the
HBO cable channel in the US while it is on mainstream broadcast television
in Australia and no doubt banned in other countries.  In a liberal
democracy, a balance is sought between competing interests.

However, not all countries are democratic.  In too many, restrictions are
imposed for other reasons, sometimes political, sometimes religious.
Material may be restricted to protect the interests of those in power or
those who would be the power (as in Iran, where the religious courts are
frustrating the more liberal intent of the elected government).

The problems with publishers deciding "at any time to withdraw from the
Licensed Materials any item or part of an item for ... which it has
reasonable grounds to believe infringes copyright or is defamatory,
obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable"  are many and include:

   * The publisher is making a decision in areas in which courts have
     notoriously found it difficult to decide (obscenity, defamation)
     when the publisher has no expertise or knowledge of the field and
     is not relying on the evidence and body of case law which would be
     considered by a court.
   * Who is to decide what are "reasonable grounds"? John, Peggy, Alex,
     the boy in the packing room?
   * What appeal is there against such decisions?  Unlike a primary
     court, the publisher is claiming an absolute right to decide what
     should be withdrawn?
   * What is the scope of "otherwise objectionable"?  Would this include
     a scholarly article in journal which the religious courts of Iran
     might find to impugn the Prophet? An article which critically
     examined the political suppression of dissent in  Malaysia? An
     article which the  Front National in France might wish excluded
     from the public libraries it controls in Provence? An article
     dealing with the health consequences of  human rights abuses in
     China?

. This is dangerous territory.  Through this provision publishers are
claiming for themselves the right to withdraw material which they believe
"defamatory, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable", not material
which they are forced to withdraw because a court has found the material
"defamatory, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable". Publishers are
claiming rights which are supra-legal.

While we might personally disagree with but pragmatically accept the
withdrawal of materials as a consequence of legally imposed censorship,
that is a far cry from accepting withdrawal at publisher's discretion.

I would hope that publishers and librarians would both be concerned about
freedom of access to information since it is a vital element of our
business. I would hope that we would unite to fight censorship of the
materials which are published and added to our libraries.

However, recognising that there are times when it is illegal to publish
certain materials, I would suggest that the wide scope of this clause
should be constrained, perhaps along the following lines:

"7.3 The Publisher reserves the right at any time to withdraw from the
Licensed Materials any item or part of an item for which it no longer
retains the right to publish, or which it has reasonable grounds to
believe infringes copyright, or which is prohibited in the relevant
jurisdictions. The Publisher shall give written notice to the Licensee
...."

Regards

Alex Byrne, Chair
Committee on Free Access to Information and Freedom of Expression
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
http://www.ifla.org/
University Librarian
University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123  BROADWAY  2007