Re: Nature subscriptions response from faculty

We have a link on our web page requesting users to send in comments or
dissents. We have received a number, including some quite angry dissents
from faculty and others . All responses are answered immediately and
personally in detail by the appropriate subject librarian (often me, since
they are generally biologists).

A typical reply might read:

> Dear Professor      X,
>
> We too would like to restore Nature as soon as possible. The question is
> really one of strategy. If we were to subscribe under the current terms
> we would NEVER see any improvement; iworse, other publishers, like
> Science, would soon follow. If we continue our present course, which is
> the same as that followed by almost all major universities, we wiil
> probably succeed in restoring full access for everyone.  Many hundreds

> of scientists at the least have written to Nature's editor, saying they
> will not review or contribute while Nature maintains its present policy,
> and this is, I believe, having  quite an effect.  I've engaged in
> negotiations of the sort with publishers for many years--we don't always
> win, but I am reasonaby confident that this time we will. I welcome
> further discussion.

This almost always gets a reply from the faculty member, typically in
terms like:

>> Subject: Re: Nature

>> Thanks very much for your reply, your comments are very helpful.  It
>> really helps clarify the issues and provides a context for Princeton's
>> actions.

>> It is important for us to know that many other universities are
>> following this strategy because the solidarity of many universities is
>> likely needed if such an approach of towards Nature is to be
>> successful.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235

___