RE: quality of Service

David Goodman makes an effective and heartfelt point about the break in
availability of some of OUP's full-text online journals. So I thought a
few words might be in order about:-

* The background to the recent events at one of OUP's online journal
hosting facilities, at Manchester University, UK

* What we are doing now to remedy the immediate problem, and what we are
doing over the next few months to ensure that such a situation never
recurs.

Anthony Watkinson makes an interesting point about what constitutes "force
majeure" in a situation such as we have just experienced. Was it
reasonable for us to believe that it would not be possible for the
security at our host's premises to be so effectively breached that
intruders would have the time and opportunity to completely strip out
every vital component of our e-journals hardware without being
apprehended?  Was it reasonable to expect that, even in such an unlikely
scenario, replacement with externally sourced new equipment would be such
a difficult and time-consuming task?

Whether we see, in these circumstances, an example of "force majeure" or
whether David Goodman's rather harsher assessment should be accepted, I
will leave for others to conclude. In the meantime, for those who are as
anxious as we are to see the return of those OUP online journals which
have been affected by the Manchester service interruption, here is a
summary of the immediate steps we have taken to restore service and the
medium term actions which we are taking to ensure that there can be no
repetition of recent events:-

1. We have successfully sourced all the necessary replacement parts, and
staff at Manchester, along with colleagues at OUP, are now working
non-stop to put all the hardware together, test it and link it up to the
data. If all goes to plan, full-text of the affected journals will start
to reappear on our web site later this afternoon.

2. Throughout this episode, the full-text of our scientific and medical
journals hosted at HighWire has remained accessible and unaffected by the
problems at Manchester. HighWire journal text is already supported by
immediately accessible back-up facilities, plus additional mirror archives
in the UK. From 2001, the remaining OUP journals, currently hosted at
Manchester, will move to a new UK-based host with global mirroring
facilities, and an additional separate back-up site will be retained at
Manchester.  A recurrence of the unfortunate recent events should not be
possible under this arrangement.

Richard Gedye

======================
Richard Gedye