Re: Unresponsive information providers

This question keeps coming up. If the information providers concerned are
publishers, there is a very good reason. They are having real problems
thinking through the right sort of policies and getting the right sort of
staff to implement them. This is a problem even for the big corporations
but think of the smaller publishers, especially learned society
publishers, who just do not have the resources and who do not have all the
advice to go to that librarians have. They worry a lot.

Publishers also go to lawyers to write contracts for them but how do they
decide on an ad hoc basis which clauses can be changed and which other
clauses can be accepted? The question about when you should go to a lawyer
exercises them as well and of course they are also concerned not just
about legal action against them (which actually should be a small concern)
but about whether any amendments will lead to their not making any money
out of the deal.

The people handling the licenses have to be a new breed who understand
licenses like rights and permissions folk but who are also able to sell.
Selling people have not traditionally worked with licenses. There are not
many of this new breed. You only have to compare the very articulate and
expert people who appear on platforms on behalf of IDEAL (who really have
worked through the questions which come up and have some years of
experience) which the sort of worried individual you may get at the end of
the phone

A librarian might reasonably wonder why it is taking publishers so long to
get their act together but the move from experimental mode to actively
operational mode is quite recent. Many of these companies have only just
started to get to grips with electronic publishing.  Think also the time
which consortial negotiations takes up - as librarians know very well. But
they are sitting on their home turf or nearby. Many publishers are coming
from other parts of the world. These people are not at home dealing with
the enquiries that come in, when they are needed by MIT, but they are out
in the field.

Obviously publishers should be able to handle this. It is in everyone's
interest. Let us hope that the use of model licenses such as those devised
by John Cox will become normal. This should give everyone a framework
within which the individual questions can be asked and answered more
readily.

Anthony Watkinson
14, Park Street, Bladon, Woodstock,
Oxon, England OX20 1RW
phone +44 1993 811561 and fax 01993 810067