Re: ALPSP creates model Grant of License for journal articles

Lesley Ellen asked:

>Is it really necessary for the license to be exclusive...what if it were
>first rights to publish the article, then thereafter non-exclusive rights,
>so that the author has more room for re-licensing after first publication in
>any medium?

In UK law, an exclusive licensee has extensive rights to act on behalf of
the copyright owner that a non-exclusive licensee does not.  I suspect
this may be at least part of the reason for the exclusivity.

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Dept of Information Science
Loughborough University
Loughborough