Re: Libraries and archiving (Re: If electronic is to replace paper)

Sorry if I have oversimplified in saying that "archiving" is easy. I guess
my assumption, perhaps a naive one, has been that libraries do have the
resources to store electronic files in some intelligible way for retrieval
(e.g., flat file structure), which is my idea of "archiving" on the
simplest level. Some of the electronic publishing licensing agreements I
have seen, to satisfy the permanent access requirement, promise to deliver
data files (not delivery systems) to libraries for "archiving," by which
is usually meant backup copies of thousands of HTML or SGML or PDF files.
My point has been that for the libraries to integrate and deliver these
files to the public with a system that includes internal and external
linking, sophisticated searching, etc., would be enormously difficult and
very expensive.

Ted Freeman