Re: WIPO COPYRIGHT TREATY AND WIPO PERFORMANCES AND PHONOGRAMSTREATY

Before a country can ratify either of these WIPO treaties, their own
copyright laws must already be in compliance with the provisions in either
treaty.  Amending copyright laws as you know can take many years and
especially when countries are amending them in relation to a "non-static"
things such as digital media and the Internet, there is probably even
greater work both substantively and politically in amending the laws.

Re libraries and schools, the ongoing debate of the balance between
copyright owners and users once again arises -- when should owners have
complete control over their works...and when should laws override this
control by allowing certain free uses for instance for educational purposes.

Hope that's helpful.

Lesley Ellen Harris
Copyright, New Media Law & Ecommerce

lesley@copyrightlaws.com
Tel.:  202.422.7221

Please email lehletter@copyrightlaws.com if you want to
be kept informed about copyright, new media law &
ecommerce news.