RE: If electronic is to replace paper

A new wrinkle, and one for which I fail to comprehend the ramifications,
American Chemical Society offered us electronic access to a number of
titles.  We decided to subscribe to 9 of them.  They then sent pricing and
we fell into the group to whom it is most costly, because we have a
FIREWALL.  If we supplied them with all of the IP addresses we needed to
have authorized, the price was almost 50% lower than if we used the
firewall access of only one IP address.  They contend that they are then
unable to determine how many people are actually going to be granted
access, even though we could still supply them with headcount, FTE of
students and employees, and restrict off-campus access to authenticated
users.  I don't understand.  Anyone able to clue me if this is a new
trend, simply a peculiarity of ACS, or my density.

Rob Strong
Director of Learning Resources
Townsend Memorial Library
Box 8016/900 College St